HOME ART

lunes, 14 de mayo de 2018

The art of cáncer

Obra en proceso de Jonathan López 2017
      
One does not fully understand the vagaries of life. We almost always end up overwhelmed by our thoughts when trying to understand them. Many simply stagnate. But there must be a tool that allows somehow remove these emotions. And of course they exist! Art is the right tool for this hecatomb.

       Through art, precisely through painting, I was able to extract many frustrations accumulated during my battle against cancer (which still continues). Recovering from surgery and enduring cycles of chemotherapy wrapped my thoughts and plunged them into a lot of grief and misery. I created in my mind a series of images that I had to expel.

        Many people asked me to paint happier things. And certainly colorful and cheerful things could improve my condition. But the artist is a communicator. He has a responsibility to express his ideas, whatever they may be. "If you have to say something, say it", advised me the great master of plastic arts Manuel Toribio, my teacher. And in that moment that was what came out. A series somewhat tenebre but sincere.

        The materic of the brushstrokes were minimal and what strengths he did not have. But more than anything, the minuscule of the material represented the smallest of my being in those days. To the extent of looking like watercolors on canvas.

        All this expression that sprung from the spirit of a broken and dying soul has become clear. The heart of an artist is insilent. It is not necessary to understand the intentions of the wind. Nor because a rock prefers to remain still. Nor what is the duty of a flame. Whether life makes sense or not does not matter. It only matters to live and share your experiences with humanity. It only matters not to intimidate you and say what you feel.

        You have art. You have good art. Then you can die.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario